This section gives an overview of the four linkages between the Winter Garden and the listed assets of the Mansion: • Linkage 1: the Green Room to the Fernery • Linkage 2: the Green Room to the Ballroom under Minstrel’s Gallery • Linkage 3: the Senior Common Room to the East Wing • Linkage 4: the Garden Court to the Winter Garden
Linkage 1: the Green Room to the Fernery The arches were bricked up in 1907 when the second hall was built as a gymnasium but would have been part of the original design of Col North. Re-opening them would allow through-use both for community and private functions and be a substantial gain for the historical interpretation and presentation of the site. Some thought would need to be given to DDA issues as there is a 5ft drop from one space to the other, The roofing of both Green Room and Fernery are continuous glass, from the outside it appears to be one unit. No pictures of this link are in existence. Both the West Wing (Fernery) and the Green Room will be under the ownership of the council/Trust.
Linkage 2: Green Room to the Ballroom under the Minstrels Gallery This is currently one space but divided by ownership. The Harris plan proposes a new glazed screen which will have lockable doors and blinds so that the Green Room can be used while the school is in occupation.
Linkage 3: Senior Common Room to the east wing (conservatory) Both these areas will be under the control of the Council/Trust. The link is through French windows and down a set of stairs.
Linkage 4: By corridor from the south east of the ballroom (Garden Court) to the east wall of the main hall of the Winter Garden
This links the south east of the ballroom by corridor to the main hall of the Winter Garden